Brooks Hotel Environmental Policy
Our team at Brooks Hotel is passionate about ensuring we are environmentally responsible. We are working on all areas of the hotel to reduce waste, reuse items where possible and to encourage recycling. We aim to monitor and record our environmental impact on a regular basis to improve our efforts and meet our targets.
~ Our Achievements to Date ~
We are proud of our environmental achievements to date which include;
- We are reducing our landfill waste through reduce, reuse and recycle initiatives within the hotel.
- We have changed our light bulbs to energy efficient bulbs.
- We have introduced educational material for our staff to ensure they are aware of our efforts.
- We have switched from containers of yogurts to reusable pots.
- We have made email the preferred means of contact for the hotel, reducing paper wastage. All emails sent from the hotel also have an ‘environmental protection message’.
~ Our Goals ~
We are dedicated to increasing our eco-friendly efforts within the hotel. By December 2016 we aim to;
- Achieve the Green Hospitality Award.
- To reduce our landfill waste by 5%.
- To reduce our Energy Consumption by 5%
- To increase the number of local producers we source from.
- To monitor and reduce energy levels, waste levels and reduce water consumption in the hotel.
- To be more active in our Community and participate in Tree Planting and Beach Clean up operations.
~ Our Restaurant ~
Our kitchen staff in Francesca’s, a member of Good FoodIreland, is proudly working on the following initiatives;
- We have an urban herb garden in the hotel and we use this to source fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs such as lemon balm, mint and coriander.
- Our team forage for fresh mushrooms in the Wicklow Mountains on a weekly basis.
- Our ingredients are sourced from local producers where possible.
- We make all of our own jams, breads, cookies and scones.
- Our breakfast buffet is designed to incorporate eco friendly containers. We do not use individual pots in order to avoid packaging waste.
- We try to ensure our suppliers are maintaining a high standard of environmental awareness in their production.
- We analyze each purchase order to ensure that only necessary supplies are purchased to reduce waste.
~ Our Offices ~
We are making a conscious effort to reduce waste in our busy offices. We have taken the following steps to reduce our environmental impact
- We use eco-friendly paper.
- We use pencils where possible.
- We encourage guests and staff to only print where necessary.
- We segregate our recyclable and general waste in each office.
- We recycle used paper.
~ Our Rooms ~
We are working with our accommodation team to improve our room’s eco friendliness by the following means;
- ‘Vingcard’ systems are used throughout the hotel bedrooms and public areas meaning that when a guest leaves the room, the lights and any power outlets switch off automatically.
- Doilies are only replaced when necessary.
- We have implemented a ‘Longer Stay Linen Programme’ where we ask guests for their permission to reuse linen for longer stays at the hotel.
- Guests are encouraged to reuse towels to reduce laundry loads.
- We use phosphate free cleaning supplies.
- Our laundry team only use machines when they are full to avoid multiple cycles, which can waste energy and water.
~ Our Location ~
We are located in the heart of Dublin’s City Centre and are close to all of the major transport links. We have information on all public transport available for guests at our reception desk;
- The nearest bus routes are just 5 minutes away.
- There are two Dublin Bike stations within 2 minutes walk of the hotel.
- Tara Street Train Station is just an 11 minute walk from the hotel.
- The nearest Luas line is just a 7 minute walk from the hotel.
- We encourage our reception team to educate guests about the Dublin Bikes Scheme and walking tours and routes.
- We try to encourage our guests to shop in the local boutiques and small producers.
~ Our Teams ~
We are working with our teams to educate them on their role in reducing waste and partaking in environmentally friendly activities within the hotel. To date:
- We promote a reduce, reuse and recycle policy.
- Encourage staff to take public transport to work.
- Ask for staff to reduce water use, turn off lights and be conscious of their activities.
- We try to encourage staff to reduce the use of chemicals where possible.
~ Our Charity Work ~
We are dedicated to supporting local charities in Dublin City. For the past two years, we have supported the Dublin Simon Community who work with the homeless. This year we are working with Pieta House who support people who are in suicidal distress and those who engage in self-harm.
~ Transport ~
Take the Aircoach which is right outside the airport to college green and we are centrally located just off Grafton St. Just a 5 min walk from your stop. Adult return tickets can be purchased online or directly on the bus for €12 return or €7 single.
As our guests we welcome your comments & suggestions on how we can improve our efforts further